I know it's been more than a few days since I've posted last. My apologies! I've been busy and haven't always had access to the Internet. When I last left off, we were about to drive to Gouverneur, NY at the crack of dawn, do two performances and then drive to Oswego, NY.
The Gouveneur performance was at a high school where elementary school kids were being bused in. We had some help from some high school students loading our set in and out which was nice since we had to go through two doorways, down a hall and up a few stairs to be on the stage level. The worst thing about this venue was the fact that the lady who was running things on behalf of the sponsor was a nitwit. She was the same woman who introduced us the previous day in Ogdensburg since the same arts council or whoever they were was the sponsor on both schools. Both days she wore a floor length fur coat and bore a vague resemblance to Joan Rivers. At the first school in Ogdensburg they had an actual dressing room of sorts for us to use. At the school in Gouveneur they had two bathrooms that we were told (by the vice superintendent, no less) that we could use as dressing rooms and that they would be private. Fine. That's fine in a school situation when there are no actual dressing rooms. All we require is a private space to get dressed where kids (or others) won't wander in and catch us in our skivvies. Well Joan Rivers had other ideas....we could share the bathrooms with the bus loads of kids that were coming to see the show. Uh....NO! She didn't understand why this would be a problem and told the vice superintendent this. He seemed a little embarrassed that she was calling the shots when she didn't even work for the school system. Luckily he was thoughtful and seemed to be more with it than she was. He made sure the wrestling room was available for us to use as a dressing space. It was private, no one would walk in, and best yet, it was completed made of wrestling mats (even on the walls) so none of us would get hurt while dressing:)
The next morning we had a show in Oswego, NY at a high school and the best thing about this space was the help! We had a number of high school drama students helping us load in and out our set. They were extremely professional and helpful and really made the load in/out easy.
From Oswego, we headed to Randolph, VT. I had never been to Vermont before and I had been dying to go! Two of my best friends, Taryn Eisenberg and Justin Quackenbush are from there and I'd heard such good things. As we drove to Randolph, I saw that VT was everything I thought it would be. Everything was quaint and cute and made me want to start baking an apple pie! That's sort of my thing, baking...especially with apples.
I forgot to mention the most special part of the evening we were about to experience in Randolph! This day, March the 4th was....my 1/2 birthday! Yes, I am now officially 30 and 1/2!!!!! Back story: None of the cast have a birthday while we are on tour so we thought we'd celebrate half birthdays instead. At first, I think it was sort of just to be funny. But now, at this point in the tour when we are tired, bored, and looking to spice things up, half birthdays are necessary.
Tomorrow, when I am able to blog on my own computer, I will upload the pictures of the big birthday blowout and tell you all about my visit to New Hampshire and then back to Burlington, VT where I am right now. Stay tuned!!!!
March 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Obviously, it was the fur coat that went to her head. Every time I wear fur I start telling people which restrooms to use!
We are getting excited that the time is near for you to come here. Joe, Fred and Judy and I, and maybe Tutu will be there to see you. I've reserved seats for all at the Sat. show, no ayment required!! I hope they really don't mind. I'd hate to think they felt obliged to come, but I hope they'll enjoy a bit of nonsense. Soon!!!!! ylmc
Post a Comment