February 25, 2009

The Short Journey Home

The two performances at the University of Shippensburg went really well. The audiences were very nice, the venue provided lunch, the dressing rooms were roomy, and the crew that was there to help us was helpful. All of these add up to great day for us.


Before the show second show started, Charles called and said that he was thinking about driving down to where we were going to be that night in Williamstown, NJ (South NJ) and get a hotel room for us for the night. We hadn't seen each other in 6 weeks! I didn't want to get my hopes up so I didn't say anything to anyone about it since he still had to see if his parents would come get him so he could get his car. It is stored at their house in Whippany, NJ. After the show, I called him and he said he was on his way to get the car and start the 2 hour drive to meet me. YIPPEE!!!!


Just as we were getting to Philadelphia I got a call from Charles that he'd been in a car accident and the car is out of commission. However, he was already in Williamstown at that point so he had to get the car towed back to his parents house, take a taxi to the Philly airport (the nearest car rental place), and ended up renting a Mustang. Charles picked me up at Colleen's parents house (the whole cast was staying with them for two nights) and we drove into Philly to stay at a nice hotel. The minute he pulled up I ran out and jumped on him! I miss him a lot.






Our temperature gage on the cargo van was saying we were overheated even though we weren't. This slowed us down...UGH! Charles was meeting me in NJ and I just wanted to get going!





Then there was traffic on the Pennsylvania Turnpike....so annoying especially since I knew I'd finally get see Charles once we got there.





I took this of us at the hotel. I'm quite the self-portrait photographer:)






Our hotel room. Four Stars! Much better than the Super 8's we've stayed at on the road.




The next day we had two performances at the Cumberland County College in Vineland, NJ. Both shows went well. They provided food for us between shows and because the second performance was added at the last minute, we got to negotiate for extra money for doing that show. We love extra money!



One funny thing that happened at the first show of the day was that the pre-recorded pre-show announcement really took us by surprise. It sounded like the beginning of a ride at Disney World..."please keep all hands and arms inside the car"....well not that to be exact but along those lines. The minute it started playing we went into our "Buddle" (that's Bunny Huddle for all those who don't know). We bounced in the buddle and got totally pumped up due to the announcement. And then....our music started and it totally ruined the momentum. It was not nearly as exciting as the announcement underscoring!



For the second show, I decided to record that pre-show announcement because we thought it was so crazy. Unfortunately, we ended up holding for about five minutes so the video is about 7 minutes long! FORTUNATELY, what my castmates ended up doing for the camera in the waiting time was worth it. They were hamming it up like crazy and I hope you enjoy it as much as I do. (By the way, the little scene they repeat several times about mopping the floor is an imitation of one of their favorite YouTube videos...I will post a link to it at the bottom of this blog entry so you can see the original.)









There were lockers in the dressing room so we couldn't resist stuffing Brian in one!








That night I stayed at Colleen's parents house with the rest of the cast. They are sooo nice! Her mom sews and her dad collects Beatles memorabilia.




Colleen's sister Kristin made this sign to greet us at the front door.






Colleen's family dog "Baxter"! He's a Westiepoo.


We had a nice evening watching the Oscars and looking forward to the next day... Following our Monday performances at CCC in Vineland, we were scheduled to drive back to NYC for two nights! I was really glad to have gotten to see Charles on Saturday night since I knew he'd be working the two nights I was going to be there and I'd barely get to see him. We loaded out super fast and headed back to the city.

When I arrived at home Charles had already left for work. I immediately started cleaning house because it was a wreck! I remember before I left on tour, Charles had said that it'd be much easier to keep the house clean with me gone....I laughed at the time and I've been proven correct. He is a mess! After getting things in reasonable order I headed downtown to meet Charles to eat dinner with him on his break. We ate at a diner and then I headed home because I had to be up and at the parking garage on 108th Street by 6:30 a.m. to drive to Long Island for a show at an elementary school. I think local shows are actually harder than being on the road and doing shows. When we're on the road we are usually staying fairly close to the venue so we don't have to get up quite so early. For local shows, you have to be at the vans which can take 20-30 minutes from my apartment depending on the subway. Then once at the vans, you still have to drive to your venue. However, we got to sleep in our own beds, so that was nice.


Last night (Tuesday) I did a repeat of the previous night and took the subway downtown to meet Charles for dinner. But only after doing all the laundry in the apartment! We had dinner at a Chinese restaurant and my friend Caroline joined us. It was great to see her!


This morning we met at the vans at 6:30 a.m. and took off for Upper Saddle River, NJ where we had a performance at an elementary school. After this show we hit the road again for about a week and a half after which we will return to NYC for a whole week! We'll only have one day off in the city with no shows, but still, we get to sleep in our own beds all week!!!!! WE CANNOT WAIT!!!!


The show this morning in Upper Saddle River was good in that the kids loved it, but we had some mishaps in the final scene of the show. Just before Josh and Mara were supposed to wheel on the castle it fell apart offstage!!!! We all frantically started putting it back together while Josh ran on and improvised some lines about the fact that Louise would be there any minute with the castle they'd made for Ruby's show. At the same time all this was happening on Stage Right, Lauren was on Stage Right and couldn't find the mallet that goes with the gong...so instead she brought on a flashlight! Later in the scene, Lauren went offstage and found the mallet and brought it on to replace the flashlight. It was crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! We just had to laugh afterward. We've had the castle fall apart once before, though it was onstage at the time so they improvised with things like "Oh no, it broke! Let's fix it together. " And one time, the mallet was missing...but this was the first time the two things had happened at once. At least now we know we can handle it if it happens again...please don't let it happen again!


AS PROMISED (The original video that everyone in my video is imitating):
Old Lady Mopping The Floor:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0rorWq-j44


AND WHILE I'M AT IT, HERE ARE SOME OF OUR OTHER CAST FAVORITES:

Charlie Bit Me:
I think it's the cute British accent that makes this one so cute.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OBlgSz8sSM

Blood:
This kid is really upset that he accidentally hit his brother. The baby is fine so it's kind of funny how freaked out he is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-fVDGu82FeQ

Laughing Baby:
This baby thinks ripping paper is hilarious!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXm696UbKY

The Evil Look:
Babies are so funny.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=93CPo0sBVZc

Shoes:
I'm not sure why this music video is so funny to us...but it is.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCF3ywukQYA

No comments: