January 26, 2009

Attack Of The Ducks And Other News

Ear Infection Update: Still have them, but feeling better. Hoping that tomorrow will be the turning point since it will be my 4th day of antibiotics.


So we've left sunny Fort Lauderdale and we are currently in Alma, GA for the night. Tomorrow morning we have a show at the Bacon County Primary School. This will be our first performance not in a theatre. I'm wondering what the space will be like. I think it will be an auditorium of some sort. The question is: Will we have enough room to assemble our house? The house that you have seen in some of my pictures actually spins around 360 degrees and both the front and the back of the house open up like a book to reveal interior rooms. It's kind of impressive, especially if you are 5. I will actually be disappointed if the house won't fit and we have to figure out how to do the scene changes without it. I'd hate for the kids not to get to see our complete product.



Fort Lauderdale was a lot of fun, except the ear infections of course. We stayed at Josh's family condo so we saved some money and it was great to stay in one place for 3 nights in a row. We were originally only supposed to stay for 2 nights and then drive part of the way to Georgia and finish the drive to Georgia this morning...but we took a vote and decided to waive our right to overtime today in order to be able to stay an extra night in Fort Lauderdale. It was totally worth it and I don't think we would have quite gotten into overtime hours anyway since we left at 9:30 and managed to be here by 6:45ish.


When we first arrived in Fort Lauderdale on Friday, we changed clothes and went directly to The Cheesecake Factory for dinner. Josh and Mara have been talking about that restaurant since before they even met in person (on Facebook). So we all agreed to go together and it was great. I'd never been to one before but the food is excellent, although the portions are huge...you can definitely have lunch the next day with your leftovers.



The menu is soooo long....if you get "Menu ADD" like me and get overwhelmed by so many choices, you should look at the menu online before you go to narrow down your decision.

Max and Ruby at The Cheesecake Factory.


Lauren and Colleen shared a cheesecake that had some sort of coffee flavor to it. I tasted it and preferred my own (Josh and I got two things to split so we could try both....we didn't come close to finishing, but it was worth it! We got the strawberry shortcake and the peanut butter/chocolate cheesecake.)


Josh has not gotten a strange tattoo on his face. Our directors, Tracy and Nicole, gave us each badges that we could gift to each other on the tour. The bunny scouts are always trying to earn badges. Someone presented Josh with the heart badge for allowing us to stay in his condo and for being our Priceline travel agent...this week we are staying at a Hilton and an Embassy Suites for dirt cheap!

Saturday was our day off. I started off the day with a trip to the Urgent Care Clinic to be seen for my ear infections. The doctor was very nice and listened to me explain my history of ear issues (tubes in ears 3 or 4 times...at least one ear infection every year of my life, sometimes as many as 3...and now that I'm an adult I tend to get them in both ears at once). She prescribed me the antibiotic and antibiotic drops that I told her work for me, which was nice. I like it when a doctor believes that you know your body and what works for you, especially when you have a chronic condition like me.

After the doctor's visit, I went to the bridal shop with Mara. She is engaged (getting married in June) and is having second thoughts about the Vera Wang dress she ordered off EBay. She tried on a bunch and found one she liked which she may look at again in New York. Wedding dress shopping is exhausting so we went back to the condo and took a nice long nap. On the way back we were nearly attacked by these ugly ducks that live near the condo...


Mara browsing the racks. I took a picture of her in the dress she liked but I don't want to post it here lest she want to keep that a surprise like I did. I plan on emailing her the pictures:)

One of the ugly ducks outside Josh's condo...it had a turkey thing going on in it's face/neck region.


Mara was willing to get pretty close to get a picture. NOT ME! I'm scared to death of birds. Fortunately, Lauren has this phobia too so I feel understood. Charles is always saying I should get hypnotized to get rid of my fear, but if I did that I wouldn't be vigilant about keeping them away from me. I know, if I weren't afraid I wouldn't feel the need to keep them away, but I guess I'd rather be scared and keep them away than not scared with lots of birds sitting all over me like in Mary Poppins. YUCK!



And now for your viewing pleasure, I present....Attack of the Ducks starring Virginia Tuller and Mara Mindell.







That night, as a group, we had taco night at the condo and watched Golden Girls. It was a lot of fun. Those broads sure are sassy!



The remains of Taco Night 2009.



Blanche, my second favorite Golden Girl. My first favorite is Rose. Betty White has incredible comic timing and always plays it so earnestly.



Sunday, we had two shows at a theatre in Fort Lauderdale. We had sound issues though and ended up having to use the theatre's mics. This made us all a little nervous. It seemed to go OK, except that Colleen (Ruby) had feedback every time I touched her, so we tried to stay true to the choreography while touching as little as possible.


After the shows, we all split up. Shelley and I ended up going to the beach where we took a short walk and then ended up eating at a little pizza joint.



Pompano Beach.




We saw a wedding just finishing up.




This gate was well protected by a lock with a number pad and everything....but you could just walk right to the side of it to get into the person's yard! It would have been funny if alarms had started going off when Shelley posed for this picture:)




Later that night, Josh had acquired free tickets to see La Cage Aux Folles at a local theatre he's worked at before. The production was pretty good, though I'm not a huge fan of that musical. I prefer the non-musical film version known ass The Birdcage with Robin Williams and Nathan Lane. When Nathan Lane claims he can't live without his Pirin tablets it always cracks me up. Hank Azaria takes Aspirin and scrapes the "A" and "S" off them, telling Nathan that they will help with his anxiety.



The group heads out to go see La Cage Aux Folles. Isn't the sunset nice?


This morning we got up and drove to Alma, Georgia all day. We were looking forward (and by we I mean myself, Lauren and Brian) to a new episode of Gossip Girl, but it turned out to be a repeat. So instead, we watched The Bachelor! I'd seen the very first episode of the season...I don't usually watch that show but it was the only thing on one night and it's kind of funny....so Lauren caught me up on what had happened and now we want to watch it next week too. We will have to watch it on the Internet though since it does air at the same time as Gossip Girl and that obviously takes priority!!!! Fortunately I have the cords to attach my computer to the TV so we can still do a group viewing. So much trashy TV, so little time:)

Well, I better hit the sack. We have an early/long day tomorrow. After our school performance we have to drive 6 hours to Montgomery, AL. Night!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

You and Mara quack me up. Those two poor birds were just trying to duck by you to get to the other side. It's a good thing that particular duck doesn't understand English, or I'm sure it would have been saying, " You two look pretty good for total idiots.Why don't you waddle over here and gimme sugar!."

Anonymous said...

I would like to name it The Great Taco Freakout of 2009!