January 5, 2009

I M OCD. R U OCD?


Meet Shelley Laabs, our Stage Manager who will be leading us on the tour! Shelley is always on top of things in a slightly OCD way, which is what I like about her since I can be a little OCD myself about liking to have things "just so". I think we're really lucky to have her. The cast and Shelley go together like "cake and ice cream" or "cats and dogs", as ol' Grandma bunny likes to say. I'm looking forward to getting to know her better on this adventure!

Today in rehearsal we got a lot done. We did a run-through, had our mic fittings, had a costume parade with the costume department where we tried on all our costumes to make sure things looked the way they are supposed to look, and then went back and did a lot of detail work on the first half of the show. Whew! Tomorrow we're going to be doing more detail work, another run-through, working with the musical director to review singing things, and dismantling the set so it will be ready for Thursday's run-through when we will have to practice putting together the set to make sure we know what we are doing. Wednesday we have the day off. Yeah!!!!

Here is a picture of the entire cast in our opening number costumes from the costume parade:


And now I'm pleased to introduce you to another character in our show: Rosalinda. Rosalinda is the name of the town neighbor I play in the opening number. I'm not sure why she is named Rosalinda since no one ever has the opportunity to call her by name. Rosalinda, as you may recall from a previous posting, carries a watering can and wears a bow in her ears. I've also decided for myself that she is the town gossip. I'm not how this will play out since she's only in the opening number and doesn't have any lines, but I'm going to give it a shot! The whole time I'm dancing in the opening number I'm carrying the watering can. This was bothering me at first because I was trying to keep it upright so it didn't seem like any of the water in the can would spill out...even though obviously, there isn't real water in the can and the choreography doesn't always allow me to keep the can upright. Today, I decided that when I make my entrance and water the imaginary plants at the edge of the stage, the water that I use to water those plants is the very last of the water in the can thereby allowing me to do the rest of the number and not be mentally hung up on the "water" in the can sloshing out during the dance. Did I mention I'm slightly OCD?

No comments: